Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The BolderBOULDER Is Flippin' Sweet

If there is a better way to spend Memorial Day then I haven't heard it. Lacing up your running shoes, pinning on your bib, and adjusting your Napoleon Dynamite wig were some of the preparations I was making on Monday morning before the race. All seven years before I had run in standard attire but this year I wanted a different look. After all I needed something distinguishing to stand out among the 50,000 participants!

I had so many people yelling Napoleon Dynamite quotes at me my head was spinning. I even had three total strangers approach me for a photo, sweet. The funny thing to me was watching how different age groups reacted to my ensemble. The sharpest group were the 13-30 year olds, everyone else was pretty clueless.

This was also the first BB10K for which I stuck around after the race to attend the ceremonies in Folsom Field. A Medal of Honor recipient was honored for his duty during the Korean War. This man killed 10 men with his bayonet in close combat and then cut down another 40 with a machine gun. This was followed by five parachuters landing on the field, a 21 gun salute, and a fighter jet fly over.

The one blemish on an otherwise perfect race was that the much hyped availability of race results fell through. The use of RFID tags worn on our shoes promised mile splits and race results by the time the day was over. Twenty four hours later and I still don't know how slow I ran! Next year is the 30th anniversary of the race so be sure to head over to Apple.com and download my countdown dashboard widget:

Picture 1.jpg






Check out the pics I uploaded to my Picasa Web Albums

No comments: